Chicken & Courgette Salad
Grilling chicken gives chicken a lovely flavour and texture, and this marinade works quickly to add plenty of zing. You can make these juicy skewers this night before and in the morning pop in your lunchbox with whatever salad bits you may have. Low in calories and carbohydrates, courgettes are also a good source of magnesium and potassium, which help to maintain healthy blood pressure.
Makes 2 lunches
200g chicken thighs or breast fillets, cut into chunks
1 tbsp olive oil
zest and juice of 1 lime
½ tsp frozen chopped ginger or 5mm piece of root ginger, peeled and grated
1 medium courgette, thickly sliced
1 large handful of salad leaves
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
lime wedge, to serve
a chunk of bread, to serve
- Put the chicken, oil, lime zest and juice, and ginger in a bowl and mix well.
- Preheat the grill. Thread the chicken and courgette onto 2 metal skewers (metal conducts heat to the centre of the chicken quicker than wooden skewers). Season with plenty of black pepper.
- Line the grill with foil and put the skewers on top. Cook for 3 minutes, then turn the skewers and cook for further 3-5 minutes until cooked through.
- Push the chicken off the skewers into a bowl, add the salad leaves and squeeze the lime over the top. Serve with some crusty bread on the side.
- For a packed lunch put the cooked chicken into a sealable container and allow to cool. Add the salad leaves and a pack of wedge of lime to squeeze over at lunchtime.