Fried Cox Apples & Cinnamon Dessert
A lovely dessert, best served with a dollop of double cream!
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 4 Cox orange pippin apple
- 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- apple juice, cider or calvados, optional
- First, clarify the butter by boiling it in a small pan.
- Strain it into a container through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.
- Peel, core and slice each apple into 8, then sprinkle over a little lemon juice to prevent the slices from browning.
- Heat some clarified butter in a non-stick frying pan, and add the apple pieces in one layer. Cook until the undersides are nicely tanned.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon, then turn over the apple slices and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. They’ll start to caramelise quite quickly.
- Lift the apples into a dish. Pour a splash of the apple juice, cider, calvados or water in the pan, bubble it up, then pour over the apples. Serve with crème fraîche.
Carpenter’s Shopping List
- Netherend unsalted butter
- Cox apples
- Billington’s golden caster sugar
- Quay ground cinnamon
- Watergull apple juice or cider