Roast Cauliflower, Chickpea, Feta & Pomegranate Salad
Cauliflower and chickpeas taste amazing when roasted, and together are really filling – you won’t need any bread with this salad. The chickpeas and feta give you plenty of protein, and you can add generous handfuls of whatever leaves you have in the fridge; rocket and mint work really well.
Feta cheese is lower in fat and calories than most cheeses. Its fresh piquant flavour means you don’t need a lot to get plenty of taste. The 100% sheep or goat’s milk varieties are often easier to digest that cow’s milk cheeses.
Makes 2 lunches
1 small cauliflower (about 325g/11oz with leaves removed)*
½ x 400g/14oz can of cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp rapeseed or chilli oil
1 tsp smoked paprika
Seeds of1 pomegranate
Handful of rocket leaves
Handful of mint leaves
50g/2oz feta cheese, crumbled (or Wobbly Bottom Feta-ish cheese)
Squeeze of lime juice
*ingredients in bold available at Carpenters
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
- Break the cauliflower into small, bite-sized florets. You can slice the cauliflower if you prefer. Tip it into a bowl along with the chickpeas.
- In another bowl, mix together the oil and smoked paprika. Spoon this over the cauliflower and chickpeas and mix well until everything is coated.
- Tip the mixture into a baking tray and roast in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the pomegranate seeds and rocket leaves. Tear the mint leaves on top. Add the feta cheese and a squeeze of lime juice, and mix everything together gently.
- Add plenty of black pepper and salt
- For a packed lunch simply pop half in a container to take to work. The other portion will last happily in the fridge until tomorrow.